(formerly the South Worcester Branch Library)
Designed by Henry D. Whitefield
Classical Revival Style
705 Southbridge Street, Worcester MA 01607
A Brief History of the Building
1910: Andrew Carnegie gave $75,000 to Worcester to build three branch libraries.
1913: Andrew and Louise Carnegie were on hand to witness the laying of the cornerstones for all three libraries on March 26. The South Worcester Branch location was visited first that day. Click here to read more about that occasion.
1914: The library opened in February.
2003-2004: The original structure was turned into condominiums.
This building now consists of two private residences.
Historical photo was taken from volume 2 of Charles Nutt's History of Worcester and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1919).
New England Carnegies
Search | Take a Virtual Tour | Sources | Links | Home
This information has
been compiled and posted by Corinne H. Smith.
Questions, comments, and corrections can be addressed here.