Margaret Clapp Library
Designed by Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge
Classical Revival Style
Information Services, 106 Central Street, Wellesley MA 02481
Library web site: https://www.wellesley.edu/lts
A Brief History of the Building
1905: Andrew Carnegie gave $132,000 to build the library.
1909-1910: The original library was built.
1915: Carnegie gave another $95,446 to fund an addition. A wing. designed by Henry D. Whitfield, was added to the left-hand side of the building.
1956-1959: The library underwent renovations. A new addition, designed by Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott, was placed at the rear of the library.
1973-1975: A major addition was built onto the right-hand side of the structure. The library was then named in honor of the college's eighth president, Margaret Antoinette Clapp (1910-1974), a Pulitzer Prize-winning author and member of the Class of 1930. She served as the college president for 25 years (1949-1974).
Many thanks to Wilma Slaight, Wellesley archivist, for providing the postcard image, the model, and the early library photo.
Model view of the library and its additions throughout the years
Early photo of the library