Designed by J. Lawrence Berry
Classical Revival Style
65 Common Street, Walpole MA 02081-2804
Library web site: http://www.walpolelibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1901: Andrew Carnegie gave $15,000 to the town to build the library. Charles Sumner Bird donated the land.
1903: The new building was dedicated on May 14.
1930: The Charles Sumner Bird Children's Room opened on the lower floor.
1967: The town voted unanimously to build an addition onto the library.
1968: The new front addition was ready for occupancy by July. The old part of the building was vacated for renovation.
2008: This library was awarded a construction grant of more than $3 million from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. The hope is to build a larger facility on a property elsewhere in the town.
Information and original drawing were supplied by the Walpole Public Library.
New England Carnegies
Search | Take a Virtual Tour | Sources | Links | Home
This information has
been compiled and posted by Corinne H. Smith.
Questions, comments, and corrections can be addressed here.