(formerly the Eaton Memorial Library)
Designed by Henry Davis Whitfield and Beverly Sedgwick King
Classical Revival Style
Tufts University, Medford MA 02155
College web site: http://www.tufts.edu
A Brief History of the Building
1904: Andrew Carnegie gave $100,000 to build the library
1908: The Eaton Memorial Library was constructed. It was named in honor of Charles Henry Eaton (1852-1902), at the request of Louise Whitfield Carnegie, Andrew's wife. Eaton graduated from Tufts with a divinity degree in 1877, and he served as the pastor of the largest Universalist church in New York City. He married the Carnegies in NYC on April 22, 1887.
1950: The War Memorial Library wing was added to the western side of the building. It was dedicated on December 7, in memory of Tufts alumni who served in wartime.
Early 1960s: The Wessell Library was built and took over as the main library of the university. It is now known as the Tisch Library, having undergone expansion and renovations in the 1990s.
Eaton Hall now houses departmental offices, classrooms, and a computer lab.
New England Carnegies
Search | Take a Virtual Tour | Sources | Links | Home
This information has
been compiled and posted by Corinne H. Smith.
Questions, comments, and corrections can be addressed here.