(formerly the Reading Public Library)
Designed by Adden and Parker, Boston-based architects who lived in Reading
Italian Renaissance Revival Style
16 Lowell Street Reading MA 01867
Web site: http://www.ci.reading.ma.us
A Brief History of the Building
1902: Andrew Carnegie offered $12,500 to Reading for a library building. No action was taken on the offer at the town meeting.
1911: 15% of the library books were damaged by a fire at the Odd Fellows building, which was being used as the library.
1915: Carnegie's offer had increased to $15,000, and the town accepted it.
1918: The new library opened on July 3.
The library has since moved to 64 Middlesex Avenue.
The building is now used as part of the town hall.
Information was supplied by the Reading Public Library.
New England Carnegies
Search | Take a Virtual Tour | Sources | Links | Home
This information has
been compiled and posted by Corinne H. Smith.
Questions, comments, and corrections can be addressed here.