Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
1909 image supplied by the Radcliffe College Archives,
Designed by Henry Forbes Bigelow of Boston
Georgian Revival Style
10 Garden Street, Cambridge MA 02138
Library web site: https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/schlesinger-library/
A Brief History of the Building
1905: Andrew Carnegie gave $73,900 to Radcliffe College to build the library.
1906: The library was built.
1965: The library was named to honor Arthur M. Schlesinger (1888-1965) and his wife, Elizabeth Bancroft Schlesinger (1886-1977). Arthur was a noted historian and author who had taught at Harvard for 30 years (1924-1954). Elizabeth was active in civic affairs and served on the library's advisory board.
1999: After decades of joint enrollment, instruction, and commencements, Radcliffe College lost its separateness and was fully absorbed into Harvard University. The former women's campus evolved into Harvard's Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study. It provides fellowships for a limited number of scholars each year.
2004-2005: The library underwent a complete architectural renovation.