(no longer standing)
Designed by Albert Randolph Ross
Carnegie Classical Revival Style
968 Highland Avenue, Needham MA 02494
Current library web site: http://www.needhamma.gov/library
A Brief History of the Building
1903: Andrew Carnegie gave $10,000 to the town to build the library. The placement of the building was controversial from the beginning, as it served the Needham Heights residents. The town center residents used the Town Hall as a library.
1904: The library opened on April 6th, and a formal dedication was held on June 18th.
1914: The building was already at capacity, and the growing controversy was resolved by William Carter, who gave the town the property on which the current library stands, on the boundary between the Center and the Heights. In return, Carter bought the old library building, which he used as an office for his mills.
1960s: The building was torn down.
Information and original depiction were provided by the Needham Free Public Library.
Search | Take a Virtual Tour | Sources | Links | Home
This information has
been compiled and posted by Corinne H. Smith.
Questions, comments, and corrections can be addressed here.