Designed by Hartwell, Richardson and Driver of Boston
Neo-Classical Revival Style
30 West Street, Leominster MA 01453-5692
Library web site: http://www.leominsterlibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1906: Andrew Carnegie gave $27,500 to the town to build the library.
1910: The library opened in April.
1965-1966: A two-story addition is put on the rear and side of the building.
1970: Trust funds are used to renovate part of the Carnegie building into a Children's Room.
1978: Part of the second floor of the addition is configured into a Young Adult Center.
2002: The Young Adult Center is renovated and rededicated as the Robert E. Cormier Center for Young Adults in honor of the late author and longtime library trustee.
2005-2007: Library services vacate the building while a large renovation and addition project begins. The 1960s addition is torn down, and a new addition is created.
2007: The new library opens for business on June 10.
This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 as part of the Monument Square Historic District.
Information was supplied by the Leominster Public Library.
Search | Take a Virtual Tour | Sources | Links | Home
This information has
been compiled and posted by Corinne H. Smith.
Questions, comments, and corrections can be addressed here.