Beaux Arts Style
569 Broadway, Chelsea MA 02150-2991
Library web site: http://www.myspace.com/chelsealibrarymass
A Brief History of the Building
1908: The Fitz Public Library, which had been standing since 1885, was lost in the Great Fire in April. 80,000 volumes and valuable historical records were completely consumed. Because of explosives in the Armory across the street from the library, no attempt was made to save the contents of the building.
1908: Andrew Carnegie gave $57,500 to the town to build the library. This amount was added to $20,000 in insurance money received after the fire. A new building was planned for the same site.
1910: The new library was dedicated.
The remains of the Fitz Public Library after the Great Fire in 1908
Information and the fire photo were supplied by the Chelsea Public Library.
New England Carnegies
Search | Take a Virtual Tour | Sources | Links | Home
This information has
been compiled and posted by Corinne H. Smith.
Questions, comments, and corrections can be addressed here.