Enfield Public Library, Pearl Street Branch
Carnegie Classical Revival Style
159 Pearl Street, Enfield CT 06082
Library web site: http://www.enfieldpubliclibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1910: Andrew Carnegie gave $20,000 to the town to build the library. Local native John Pickens negotiated the proceedings with Carnegie.
1914: The new library was dedicated on February 27th and opened on May 5th.
1920: A German 77 cannon that had been captured at the Battle of Argonne was placed on the library lawn and dedicated on November 11th. (It was later broken up and used for scrap during World War II.)
1967: A new centrally-located library for Enfield was built on Middle Road.
This building is now a branch of the central library.
Original postcard supplied by Cheryl Beturne of the Enfield Public Library.