Designed by Henry Killam Murphy
Classical Revival Style
307 Hawthorne Avenue, Derby CT 06418
Library web site: http://www.derbynecklibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1906: Mayor Wilbur Fisk Osborne, founder of the library, obtained $3,400 from Andrew Carnegie to build the library. Osborne died before the building was completed.
1907: The library opened on January 5. Osborne's daughter, Frances Osborne Kellogg, directed the library until her death in 1956.
1972: The Hawthorne School next door was demolished so that the library could be enlarged. Daniel Antinozzi Associates designed the addition.
1999-2002: The library was again renovated and expanded with plans by George Buchanan Associates.
Information and original postcard were supplied by the Derby Neck Library.
Search | Take a Virtual Tour | Sources | Links | Home
This information has
been compiled and posted by Corinne H. Smith.
Questions, comments, and corrections can be addressed here.