(former North End Branch Library)
Italian Renaissance Revival Style
2181 Main Street, Bridgeport CT 06606
A Brief History of the Building
1914: Andrew Carnegie gave $50,000 to Bridgeport to build two branch libraries.
1918: The North End Branch library opened on July 25th, equipped with more than 5,000 books.
1995: Library services left this site in November because of obsolescence, limited parking, and space constrictions. A new North Branch on upper Madison Avenue serves the community.
1996: The building was sold to Cornerstone Commercial Realty and Cornerstone Capital Mortgage Company for $92,250. The office opened in 1997 after extensive remodeling and construction of a parking lot.
2005: The building housed Access America, a Century 21 office.
2009: The building is for sale.
Information was supplied by Elizabeth Van Tuyl, BPL Historical Collections.